I was playing around with different pizzas lately and realized I needed a quick, melty cheese to top them with. This is super simple and versatile. Use it in place of mozzarella on your favorite pizza, sandwich, or even as a dip. The guar gum is optional, but really helps to thicken the final product.
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked at least four hours
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum, optional
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons mild vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Blend all ingredients thoroughly in blender.
Transfer to a sauce pan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring slowly until sauce thickens and begins to resemble melted cheese.